Why do #HigherEd Students Need to Use & Understand Social Networking to Get and Keep a Job?
Answer: Students need to be prepared for what is and what will be, not what was. Social Networking is growing and becoming even more important.
Here are a few recent findings from studies that demonstrate why Higher Ed students need to use Social Media to learn, communicate, and collaborate in a professional way to get and keep a job, especially in the fields of Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, and Communications.
Getting a Job:
- 92% of companies actively hiring in 2010 currently use or plan to recruit via social networks.
Of this group, which social networking Sites do you or your company use to find
- 86% LinkedIn / 60% Facebook / 50% Twitter
Acceptance of Social Media by Marketers:
- 63% of marketers are already investing in social media marketing and of the 37% that are not currently investing in social media marketing, 62% are planning to invest,
- 57% welcome social media users involvement and participation with their brands
- 70% say that social media marketing is a powerful tool for brands or products
- 62% feel that their prospective audience is on social media sites
- 47% note that social media users/always-on consumers gather information differently
- 40% plan to use social media as part of customer support and relationship management
Source: Research Report: Marketers' Current & Future Use of Social Media August 24, 2010 Pivot Conference (in partnership with Extra Mile Research)
Spending on Social Media by Marketers:
- Spending on internet marketing to grow by 13.6% in the next 12 months, a much larger increase than in any other area of marketing.
- Spending on social media will increase by 50% in the next 12 months to 9.9% of the total marketing budget and almost double again to 17.7% of the total marketing budget in the next 5 years.
Consumers / Customers:
- 90% of consumers surveyed noted that they trust recommendations from people they know, while 70% trusted consumer opinions posted online.
Source: The Nielsen Company
Social Media Demographics:
- More than 500 million active users globally / 150 million users are in the United States
- 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- More than 30% of active users currently access Facebook through their mobile devices
Source: Facebook 2010
- 175 million registered users globally, adding about 370,000
- 180 Million unique visitors per month
- 75% of Twitter Traffic comes from outside of Twitter.com
- 37% of users update their status with a mobile phones
I look 4Ward to your feedback.