LinkedIn is a Professional Social Network that helps in your job search and career planning. LinkedIn makes it easier for you to make connections and leverage those connections to help you get a foot in the door with potential employers.
LinkedIn can be used to exchange information, ideas, and opportunities. The site provides you with tools to connect for mutual benefit like job referrals, discussions on various topics, event announcements, and much more.
3 quick facts about LinkedIn being one of the top Professional Social Networking sites in the world:
- Over 80 million professionals use Linkedin including: Business Decision Makers, Marketing Professionals, Sales Professionals, Startup Professionals, Corporate Executives, etc.
- 92% of companies actively hiring in 2010 currently use or plan to recruit via social networks.
Of this group, which social networking sites do you or your company use to find candidates?
- 86% LinkedIn / 60% Facebook / 50% Twitter Source: Jobvite Social Recruitment Survey 2010
12 ways LinkedIn is being used by business professionals, their companies, and students (there are many more):
- job search and career planning
- stay informed about your contacts and industry
- find the people & knowledge you need to achieve your goals
- control your professional identity online
- connect with alumni and industry members
- connect with classmates, faculty, and family professionally
- find new opportunities for internships and full time positions
- manage what potential employers learn about you from the Internet
- communicate with employees and management in the organization
- monitor the competition and what people are saying about your company or brand
- recruit for jobs and new positions
- keep up on the lastest industry news and current trends
6 quick videos to help you get started:
- What Is LinkedIn?
- Building Your Professional Brand
- Finding & Pursuing Your Career Passion
- Building a Professional Network
- Turning Relationships Into Opportunities
- Researching and Prepping for Interviews
1. What Is LinkedIn?
2. Building Your Professional Brand - Defining your skills and experience
3. Finding & Pursuing Your Career Passion
4. Building a Professional Network
5. Turning Relationships Into Opportunities
6. Research & Prepping for Interviews - Recruiters say demonstrating knowledge about their companies is one of the most important factors in landing a job.
There is much more to learn but this should be enough to get you started using LinkedIn professionally.
I look 4Ward to your feedback.