Social Media U Need 2 Know #NewhouseSM4 "To Do" List - 10 Things Due For Tues., Sept. 6 (Weekly assignments are due by Noon).
Note: Make sure you are following the correct class Hashtag. The first few assignments are similar in both classes to make sure the group has the basic skill set for Social Learning and Group Collaboration.
- What Is Social Learning And How Is It Different Than Social Media? #enterprise #highered #infographic
Readings / Assignments
"The difference between seeing Twitter as a waste of time or as a powerful new community amplifier depends entirely on how you look at it - on knowing how to look at it. Know-how is where the difference lies."
3. Complete your Twitter professional profile as soon as possible by adding your photo, bio, location and a weblink so you can get the full functionality out of the tool and search engines (do not look like SPAM). Follow the tips here to make sure you have a Professional Twitter Profile.
- What Is Twitter And Why Do I Need to Use Social Medai Professionally?: 4 Easy Steps to Getting Started with Twitter Professionally for Students & Pros
5. Post the following on Tweet on Twitter: "Taking Social Media U Need 2 Know #NewhouseSM4 with @DR4WARD at @NewhouseSU & learning how to use Social Media like a pro." This will help other people on Twitter understand what you are up to.
6. Create a new list - Create your own "NewhouseSM4" class list on Twitter. Add everyone from class
7. Follow the recommended Social Media pros that were shared on Twitter during class. You can use search on Twitter and use the class Hashtag. - #NewhouseSM4"
8. Create a new list - Create a Social Media Pros list and add the Social Media pros that you followed from #3.
9. Weekly Tweets Note: Over the course of this week (Wed., Aug. 31 through Tuesday, Sept. 6) send at least 20 class related tweets. Tweets not related to class do not count for the total. Use the class Hashtag #NewhouseSM4 for all class related Tweets.
Note: You cannot accrue the 20 tweets at one time, on one day. They must be spread out over 4-5 days with a maximum of 5 per day counting towards your total. (Ex - 4 tweets per day x 5 = 20 or 5 tweets per day x 4 = 20)
- Reply - @reply - to a Social Media pro that you follow and who follows you back and thank them for something that they shared that you find interesting. Tell them why? Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in your Tweet.
- Over the course of the week @Reply to a least five of your classmates' tweets. You may not accrue all of your responses at one time. They must be spread out over 4-7 days with a maximum of 2 per day counting toward your total.
- RT - Retweet one of the posts from a different a Social Media Pro that you follow that you found interesting. Be sure to include their Twitter userid with the @symbol to give them credit. Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in your Tweet.
Note - Do not use the Retweet button. A Retweet should look like this: Example:
RT @DR4WARD Looking 4Ward to sharing COM 400 Social Media U Need 2 Know syllabus w/ @NewhouseSU students http://dld.bz/anqQK #NewhouseSM4
10. DM - Direct Message @HeatherCosson when you complete the weekly "To Do" List.
I look 4Ward to your feedback.
Author: Bill - Dr. William J. Ward, a.k.a DR4WARD is the Professor of Social Media at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. He is ranked one of the "Top Marketing Professors on Twitter" in the world by Social Media Marketing Magazine for providing useful content and consistently engaging with followers and truly "getting it" when it comes to the best ways to use Twitter and other forms of Social Media. He earned his Ph.D. in Media and Information Studies at Michigan State University and teaches internationally. He also participates with the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
DR4WARD enjoys helping connect students and pros to learn about all forms of communication and creativity. He talks about, creates, and curates content on: Digital, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Social Media, Journalism, Higher Ed, Innovation, Creativity, and Design. Curated global resources can be found here: DR4WARD Curated Social Media, Marketing & Digital Resources - Infographics, Slideshows, Videos, Etc.
Follow DR4WARD on Twitter: @DR4WARD
Add DR4WARD to Your Google G+ Circle: G+ DR4WARD
Follow S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications on Twitter: @NewhouseSU
Follow Syracuse University on Twitter: @SyracuseU