Public Relations Social Media #NewhousePRSM Summer 2012 "To Do" List - Due Sun., June 3
You can also find the class schedule and progress here: Public Relations Social Media #NewhousePRSM Summer 2012 - What We Have Accomplished So Far!
Read & Review
- Real-Time Marketing & PR – Part I Revolution Time - Chapters 6 – 9
General (Here are a few resource reminders regarding our in-class discussions and answers to your general questions posted on social media during the week)
Twitter Resources (A few resource reminders and answers to questions posted on social media during the week)
- John Hill, Higher Education Evangelist for LinkedIn Speaking at S.I. Newouse School of Public Communications Global Leaders In Digital & Social Media Speaker Series #NewhouseGLDSM at Syracuse University #video
Log Into Hootsuite Pro
- View HOOT210 - Listening: Keyword Tracking, Search, In Stream Filtering, Lists
- View HOOT 220 - Engaging: Upload Files and Photos, Drafts, RSS Feeds
- View Lesson 2: Creating a LinkedIn Profile in SCMD 110: Setting Up Your Social Media Profiles
- Take exam after completing all four lessons.
- View Tracking Hashtagged Conversations In Hootsuite
- How To Strategically Grow Your LinkedIn Network with John Hill from LinkedIn
- Join LinkedIn and create a 85% or higher complete profile (see links above for video tips on creating and completing your LinkedIn profile.)
- Add your LinkedIn Account to your Hootsuite Dashboard.
- Connect on LinkedIn - Find DR4WARD on LinkedIn and invite me to connect with you. Use class hashtag in your message to connect.
Twitter Chat Schedule - List for Live Chats taking place at a certain time on a certain day.
Participate in a live Twitter Chat:
- Go to the Twitter Chat Schedule. Read the descriptions and find a Hashtag for a live chat with a date and time that works with your schedule. You must participate in the Live Twitter Chat between Monday, May 28 - Sunday June 3.
Note - #HSUChat - HootSuite University has a Twitter chat every week on Tuesday at 2 PM EST covering in-depth industry discussions about social media hot topics.
On the date and time of your selected live chat use Hootsuite to create a Hashtag stream to help put your blinders on to the Twitter-sphere while you monitor & chat.
- Warn your followers. Once you’re ready to join a chat, it’s good form to let your followers know that you may be sending a lot of tweets since you’re on a chat
- Introduce yourself to the live chat at the beginning - Example - "I'm studying Social Media in #NewhousePRSM w/ @dr4ward We're learning about Twitter chats. This is my 1st time participating w/this chat"
- Ask one question during the live chat related to the topic / discussion.
- Answer one question or share your opinion at least once during the live chat.
- One RT - Retweet another participants Tweet during the live chat that you find valuable.
- Thank the participants, contributors, etc. from the Twitter Chat at the end of the chat.
Note: You cannot accrue the 20 tweets at one time, on one day. They must be spread out over 5-7 days with a maxium of 4 tweets per day counting towards your total. (Ex - 3 tweets per day x 7 = 21 or 4 tweets per day x 5 = 20)
- Find & Follow - Find & Follow the Twitter userids for 5 new people related to class content and discussions.
- Add to your Twitter list - add the 5 new people that you are following to your "Social Media Pros or Recommendations" list you created.
- Tweet - Post a Tweet to the class recommending they follow these 5 new people and explain why. Include #NewhousePRSM Hashtag in your Tweet and the individual Twitter usderids with the @symbol. (You cannot use the same 5 people as your classmates)
- Tweet/Link - Post a Tweet with a link to a post from one of the 5 new people you are following on Twitter. Add the #NewhousePRSM Hashtag in your Tweet.
- RT - Retweet one of the posts from a different Social Media Pro that you follow that you found interesting. Be sure to include their Twitter userid with the @symbol to give them credit. Include the #NewhousePRSM Hashtag in your Tweet.
- Reply - @reply - to a Social Media pro that you follow and who follows you back and thank them for something that they shared that you find interesting. Tell them why? Include the #NewhousePRSM Hashtag in your Tweet.
- Over the course of the week @Reply to a least one of your classmates' tweets. Include the #NewhousePRSM Hashtag in your Tweet.
7. DM - Direct Message @DR4WARD when you have completed this list.
I look 4Ward to your feedback.
Author: Bill - Dr. William J. Ward, a.k.a DR4WARD is the Professor of Social Media at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. He is ranked one of the "Top Marketing Professors on Twitter" in the world by Social Media Marketing Magazine for providing useful content and consistently engaging with followers and truly "getting it" when it comes to the best ways to use Twitter and other forms of Social Media. He earned his Ph.D. in Media and Information Studies at Michigan State University and teaches internationally. He also participates with the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
DR4WARD enjoys helping connect students and pros to learn about all forms of communication and creativity. He talks about, creates, and curates content on: Digital, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Social Media, Journalism, Higher Ed, Innovation, Creativity, and Design. Curated global resources can be found here: DR4WARD Curated Social Media, Marketing & Digital Resources - Infographics, Slideshows, Videos, Etc.
Follow DR4WARD on Twitter: @DR4WARD
Add DR4WARD to Your Google G+ Circle: G+ DR4WARD
Follow S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications on Twitter: @NewhouseSU