COM 427 Social Media for Communicators #NewhouseSM4 Fall 2013 "To Do" List - Due Sun., Oct. 6
Note: Make sure you are following the correct class name - COM 427 Social Media For Communicators and Hashtag - #NewhouseSM4.
You can also find the class schedule and progress here: COM 427 Social Media For Communicators #NewhouseSM4 Fall 2013 - What We've Accomplished So Far!
There are four parts to this weekly "To Do" List:
- Guest Speaker
- Team Tasks
- Readings / Assignments
- Hootsuite Certification Courseware & Social Media Courseware
- "Weekly Tasks"
Guest Speaker - Corey Takahashi @takalabtime Future-focused professor, journalist, producer. Working at the crossroads of media, technology, new storytelling in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.
Topic: Visualization And Storytelling For Digital And Social Media
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2:15 PM
Team Tasks - COM 427 Social Media for Communicators #NewhouseSM4 Fall 2013 - Wearable Technology - Developing A Google Glass App
Presenting Google Glass ideas to panel of experts next week.
Readings / Assignments
Read & Review
- How Will Social Shopping Continue To Evolve With The Introduction Of Timeline For Brands On Facebook? #infographic
- What Are The Different Types Of Fans On The Fan Spectrum And How Are They Engaging With Social Media? #infographic
Hootsuite Certification Courseware & Social Media Courseware
on joining the HootSuite University Higher Education Program! As part
of the #NewhouseSM4 class, you will have free access to HootSuite Pro and HootSuite University for 90 days.
1. Log Into Hootsuite Pro
Congratulations you have completed Hoot 110-140 Getting Started With Hootsuite.
Next: Click on Advanced Tactics With Hootsuite Pro
- HOOT 230 Advanced Collaboration with HootSuite Pro
- View Lesson SCMD 115: The Do's and Don'ts of Social Media Etiquette
- Take SCMD 115 Exam.
Social Network Specific Education
Social Network Specific Education
- 5 Best Practices for New Facebook Pages with Taylor Loren
- Facebook Brand Pages: Rules of Engagement with Jason Li
Social Engagement - Post to Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Facebook
Use Hootsuite Pro to Post To Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. You will have to copy and paste your posts to also post on G+.
* Reminder - Hootsuite works with G+ Pages but does not work with G+ Profile. Google has not shared the API for G+ Profile.
Over the course of this week (Mon., September 30 through Sun., October 6) send at least 20 class related posts on Twitter, LinkedIn and G+. Posts not related to class do not count for the total. Use the class Hashtag #NewhouseSM4 for all class related posts on all platforms.
Note: You cannot accrue the 20 posts on Twitter, LinkedIn and G+ posts at one time, on one day. They must be spread out over 5-7 days with a maxium of 4 posts on each platform per day counting towards your total. (Ex - 3 tweets / G+ posts per day x 7 = 21 or 4 tweets / G+ posts per day x 5 = 20)
The objective of this assignment is to engage with others, not simply announce. Your posts and live event tweeting can count towards your total. Your 20 posts on each of the different platforms must be over 5-7 days. Example 3 x 7 days = 21 / 4 x 5 days = 20
1. Join the #NewhouseSM4 Facebook - created by Instructor Assistant Shuai Wang. You will be posting content to the Facebook Group.
3. Post one Vine to practice creating shareable content. Read 4 story telling tips for making 6 second short films on vine for inspiration. Examples: "Team meeting, team project, team work, a day in Newhouse" "An afternoon in the life of a social media student" or "the story of a brand", etc. Use hashtag #NewhouseSM4.
Share your vine to G+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.4. Post one Photo representing a moment see examples above to also practice creating valuable content. Share your photo to all platforms using hashtag #NewhouseSM4.
8. Add to your G+ Circle - add the 5 new people that you are following to your "Industry Pros/Social MEdia Experts" G+ Circle you create.
9. Twitter, LinkedIn, G+ and Facebook - Post to Twitter, LinkedIn, G+ and Facebook to the class recommending they follow these 5 new people and explain why. Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in your post and the individual Twitter usderids with the @symbol and +profile name on G+. (You cannot use the same 5 people as other students)
10. Twitter, LinkedIn, G+ and Facebook - Post to Twitter and LinkedIn and Facebook and to G+ with a link to the homepage or a post from one of the 5 new blogs you are following or subscribing to. Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in post.
11. RT - Retweet to Twitter and Reshare on LinkedIn, G+ and Facebook one of the posts from a different Pro that you follow that you found interesting. Be sure to include their Twitter userid with the @symbol on Twitter and their +profile name on G+ to give them credit. Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in your Tweet and G+ post.
Add a comment to a professional on Google+ and thank them for something that they shared that you find interesting. Tell them why or ask a question. Include the #NewhouseSM4 Hashtag in your post.
I look 4Ward to your feedback.
Keep Digging for Worms!
Author: Bill - Dr. William J. Ward, a.k.a DR4WARD is the Professor of Social Media at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. He is ranked one of the "Top Marketing Professors on Twitter" in the world by Social Media Marketing Magazine for providing useful content and consistently engaging with followers and truly "getting it" when it comes to the best ways to use Twitter and other forms of Social Media. He earned his Ph.D. in Media and Information Studies at Michigan State University and teaches internationally. He also participates with the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
DR4WARD enjoys helping connect students and pros to learn about all forms of communication and creativity. He talks about, creates, and curates content on: Digital, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Social Media, Journalism, Higher Ed, Innovation, Creativity, and Design. Curated global resources can be found here: DR4WARD Curated Social Media, Marketing & Digital Resources - Infographics, Slideshows, Videos, Etc.
Follow DR4WARD on Twitter: @DR4WARD
Find DR4WARD resources on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dr4ward/
Add DR4WARD to Your Google G+ Circle: Google
Follow S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications on Twitter: @NewhouseSU
Follow Syracuse University on Twitter: @SyracuseU