Social Media for Journalists
Note: Make sure you are following the correct class name - COM 427 Social Media For Communicators and Hashtag - #NewhouseSM4.
You can also find the class schedule and progress here: COM 427 Social Media For Communicators #NewhouseSM4 Spring 2014 - What We've Accomplished So Far!
Social Media for Communicators #NewhouseSM4 Spring 2014 "To Do" & Reading List - Due Sun., Apr.6
There are four parts to this weekly "To Do" List:
- Team Teaching Presentation
- Hootsuite Certification Courseware & Social Media Courseware
- "Weekly Tasks"
Team Teaching Presentation
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn & Google+ Industry Interviews - Mon. March 24 (Review & share findings)
Use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn & Google+ to set up 4 industry interviews to learn more about the topic of your final presentation directly from industry professionals.
Mid-way Review (15mins per team)
Team Teaching Meetings - Review of Presentations - Mar.31
Team 1 #GameOnNHSM4 - Incentivize social media/mobile, consumer gamification
Team 2 #CrisisSM4 - PR and crisis management
Team 3 #PolySocial - Politics/Elections and social media
Team 4 #SUyelp - Hospitality and social media
Team Teaching Meetings - Review of Presentations - April 2
Team 5 #EESM4 - Social media used in event:conferences
Team 6 #SocialTVSM4 - Social TV
Team 7 #crowdsourceSM4 - Social crowd sourcing
Team 8 #pssmp - Social in Sports
Social Media for Journalists
Blogging & Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- How Has Making It To The Top Of Search Engine Page Rankings Evolved And What Do You Need To Do Today To Be #1? #infographic
Log Into Hootsuite Pro
- Note - Congratulations! You have completed the Hootsuite Certification Courseware.
- Be sure to go to "Profile" in the HootSuite U dashboard, view learning status, and issue certficate to get HootSuite Badge of accomplishment and get listed in the Hootsuite Pro directory.
- View SCMD 121: Introduction to Social Networks *NEW*
- Take SCDM 121 Exam
No webinar for this week.
1. Join the #NewhouseSM4 Facebook group. You will be posting content to the Facebook Group.
2. Social Engagement - Post to Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Facebook
Use Hootsuite Pro to Post To Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. You will have to copy and paste your posts to also post on G+.
* Reminder - Hootsuite works with G+ Pages but does not work with G+ Profile. Google has not shared the API for G+ Profile.
Over the course of this week (Mon., Mar 31 through Sun., Apr.6) send at least 10-12 class related posts on Twitter, LinkedIn and G+. Posts not related to class do not count for the total. Use the class Hashtag #NewhouseSM4 for all class related posts on all platforms.
The objective of this assignment is to engage with others, not simply announce. Your posts and live event tweeting can count towards your total. Your posts on each of the different platforms must be over 5-7 days. Example 2 x 5 days = 12 / 3 x 4 days = 12
2. #TeamTeaching projects social shares :
- G+/Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn - Post a with a link promoting your team project's slideshare. Include the #Hashtag in your posts.
- Retweet / Reshare - RT on Twitter / Reshare on G+ / Post on Facebook & LinkedIn another student or team's project update using the #Hashtag.
- Reply - @reply - to a different team's post on Twitter regarding their slide share. Include the project Hashtag. Add a positive comment, or a suggestion for improvement and/or ask a question.
- +1 and Comment on G+ - to a different team's post about their team progress, leave a comment on G+ about a different classmates' post. Add a positive comment or a suggestion for improvement or ask a question. Include the #project Hashtag in your Tweet.
- Like / Comment on Facebook to a different student or team's post shared on Facebook. Use the #projectHashtag.
3. Post one Vine to practice creating shareable content. Read 4 story telling tips for making 6 second short films on vine for inspiration. Examples: "Team meeting, team project, team work, a day in Newhouse" "An afternoon in the life of a social media student" or "the story of a brand", etc. Use hashtag #NewhouseSM4.
Share your vine to G+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
* Please let the IA know your vine account name via G+ or Twitter.
4. Post one Photo representing a moment see examples above to also practice creating valuable content. Share your photo to all platforms using hashtag #NewhouseSM4.
5. Send Direct Message to Instructor Assistant on G+, Facebook or Twitter when you have completed this list.
DR4WARD enjoys helping connect students and pros to learn about all forms of communication and creativity. He talks about, creates, and curates content on: Digital, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Social Media, Journalism, Higher Ed, Innovation, Creativity, and Design. Curated global resources can be found here: DR4WARD Curated Social Media, Marketing & Digital Resources - Infographics, Slideshows, Videos, Etc.
Follow DR4WARD on Twitter: @DR4WARD
Find DR4WARD resources on Pinterest:http://pinterest.com/dr4ward/
Add DR4WARD to Your Google G+ Circle: Google
Follow S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications on Twitter: @NewhouseSU
Follow Syracuse University on Twitter: @SyracuseU